Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2013 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES
Registration of vehicles; residency; exceptions.
8-1,138. Registration of vehicles; residency; exceptions. (a) For purposes of article 1 of chapter 8 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, a person shall be deemed to be a resident of a county in this state if:
(1) The person, including a student, is registered to vote in such county; or
(2) the person, partnership, company, firm, corporation or association maintains an office within such county to lease or rent motor vehicles, if such motor vehicles are operated within the state for a period exceeding 60 days.
(b) For purposes of article 1 of chapter 8 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, there is a rebuttable presumption that a person is a resident of a county in this state if any of the following exist:
(1) The person, other than a student, owns, leases or rents a place of domicile within such county and remains in such county for a period exceeding 90 days, except for infrequent or brief absences;
(2) the person enrolls the person's child in a school district, all or any part of which is located in such county, unless out-of-state tuition is being charged for the attendance of the child at school in such school district;
(3) the person has a place of domicile in such county and has accepted employment or engages in any trade, profession or occupation within this state;
(4) any individual, partnership, company, firm, corporation or association maintains a main or branch office or warehouse facility within such county or bases and operates motor vehicles in such county, if such motor vehicles are garaged in such county for a period exceeding 90 days; or
(5) any individual, partnership, company, firm, corporation or association operates motor vehicles in intrastate haulage in this state, if such motor vehicles are garaged in such county for a period exceeding 90 days.
(c) For purposes of this section, resident does not include:
(1) A student who is enrolled for at least nine hours of credit at a college or university in this state, if the student has a domicile in another state and has a valid driver's license and vehicle registration issued by the state of domicile; and
(2) members of the armed forces who are stationed in the state, provided such members' vehicles are properly registered in such members' state of residence.
History: L. 1990, ch. 34, § 1; July 1.
Return to KSA Listing