Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2014 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES
UNIFORM ACT REGULATING TRAFFIC; SIZE, WEIGHT AND LOAD OF VEHICLES
Implement dealers; permits; allowable movement.
8-1918. Implement dealers; permits; allowable movement. (a) An implement dealer who obtains an annual permit pursuant to K.S.A. 8-1911, and amendments thereto, shall be allowed to move or transport farm tractors, implements of husbandry, combines, fertilizer dispensing equipment or other farm machinery on highways under the jurisdiction of the secretary of transportation.
(b) Such annual permit shall allow an implement dealer to move such equipment or machinery subject to the following conditions:
(1) Except as provided in subsection (e), loads being moved or transported shall not exceed a width of 17 feet, nine inches;
(2) except as provided in subsection (e), movement of loads exceeding a width of 14 feet shall use escort vehicles as required by the rules and regulations of the Kansas department of transportation;
(3) moves shall not be made within 1 / 2 hour after sunset and 1 / 2 hour before sunrise; and
(4) loads cannot be moved on any highway that is part of the national systems of interstate and defense highways.
(c) An implement dealer, or employee thereof, moving farm equipment or machinery on highways under the jurisdiction of the secretary of transportation that exceed the weight limits established by K.S.A.8-1908 or 8-1909, and amendments thereto, or the height and length limits established by K.S.A. 8-1904, and amendments thereto, shall obtain an appropriate permit under K.S.A. 8-1911, and amendments thereto, and the rules and regulations promulgated by the Kansas department of transportation.
(d) Except as provided in subsection (e), the provisions of this section shall apply whether the implement dealer, or employees thereof, moves the equipment or machinery either:
(1) On a trailer or semi-trailer;
(2) pinning the equipment or machinery onto a truck or truck tractor with the item traveling on the item's wheels; or
(3) under the machinery or equipment's own power.
(e) An implement dealer, or employees thereof, may move farm machinery when towing such machinery behind a farm tractor within a 100 mile radius of any of the implement dealer's places of business when such farm tractor and equipment or machinery are equipped with flashing lights on both the front and rear and towed in accordance with subsections (b)(3), (b)(4) and (c).
(f) An implement dealer, or employee thereof, moving farm machinery designed for use at speeds of less than 25 miles per hour, or which is normally moved at speeds less than 25 miles per hour, shall have displayed on the farm machinery a slow-moving vehicle emblem, as defined in K.S.A. 8-1717( e)(2), and amendments thereto, which shall be clearly visible from the rear of the farm machinery.
(g) As used in this section, "implement dealer" shall mean a person, firm, organization or business that buys, sells or services farm tractors, implements of husbandry, combines, fertilizer dispensing equipment or other farm machinery in the regular course of business.
History: L. 2014, ch. 14, § 1; July 1.
Return to KSA Listing