Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2013 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES
Application for registration; certificate of title; administration of
motor vehicle functions.
8-129. Application for registration; certificate of title; administration of motor vehicle functions. (a) Applications for the registration of a vehicle required to be registered shall be made by the owner, by mail, on-line, electronically or otherwise, in the office of the county treasurer of:
(1) The county in which such owner resides; or
(2) the county in which the owner has a bona fide place of business, if such vehicle is garaged in such county for a period exceeding 90 days. Such place of business shall not be an office or facility established or maintained solely for the purpose of obtaining registration.
Such applications for registration shall be made upon appropriate forms furnished by the department and every application shall contain the name of the owner, such owner's residence address or bona fide place of business, a brief description of the vehicle to be registered and such other information as may be required by the department. If the owner is not a resident of or does not have a bona fide place of business in this state, the owner may make application for registration in any county which the department shall designate, except that in the case of members of the armed forces of the United States, the application may be signed by the owner's spouse, parent, eldest brother or sister, in the order named. With reference to every foreign vehicle which has been registered outside of this state, the owner shall exhibit to the department the certificate of title and registration card, or other evidence of such former registration as may be in the applicant's possession or control, or such other evidence as will satisfy the department that the applicant is the lawful owner or possessor of the vehicle.
(b) The applicant for the registration of a vehicle required to be registered, upon the filing of the application, shall submit a statement certifying that such person has a certificate of title for the motor vehicle, showing the date and identification thereof, or file an application therefor, as provided in this act.
(c) Any reference in article 1 of chapter 8 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, and amendments thereto, to a county treasurer or office of a county treasurer performing any services associated with vehicle functions and receiving compensation for such services shall also include contractors that have contracted with the department to perform such services if the director of vehicles determines that a county treasurer has failed to:
(1) Comply with article 1 of chapter 8 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, and amendments thereto, relating to vehicle functions;
(2) comply with rules and regulations promulgated pursuant to subsection (e); or
(3) enter into and abide by a contract with the department to ensure minimum standards and practices are maintained by the county treasurer in the performance of assigned vehicle functions.
(d) The department may appoint contractors to perform some or all of the vehicle functions agreed to by the department and the contractor to be performed. In circumstances involving vehicle registrations, the department shall be required to make the findings required by subsection (c) before contracting with a contractor that is not a county treasurer.
(e) The secretary of revenue may adopt rules and regulations in order to implement and administer the provisions of subsections (c) and (d) to:
(1) Enter into contracts with the county treasurers to perform vehicle functions;
(2) create minimum standards and practices for the performance of vehicle functions;
(3) require criminal background reviews of county treasurers and their staff that will be performing vehicle functions, if needed;
(4) establish and set the limits on the additional, non-statutory fees, if any, that a contractor may charge a person for services relating to vehicle functions; and
(5) create efficient and rapid administrative processes for suspending or revoking a treasurer's ability to perform vehicle functions on behalf of the department if such treasurer violates applicable laws, rules and regulations, or the treasurer's written contract with the department.
Any order of the department suspending or revoking a county treasurer's authorization to perform vehicle functions for the state of Kansas shall include requirements for the county treasurer's reinstatement.
History: L. 1929, ch. 81, § 7; L. 1937, ch. 72, § 3; L. 1938, ch. 11, § 1; L. 1943, ch. 79, § 1; L. 1947, ch. 96, § 1; L. 1951, ch. 101, § 1; L. 1955, ch. 45, § 1; L. 1957, ch. 57, § 2; L. 1959, ch. 46, § 3; L. 1990, ch. 34, § 2; L. 2001, ch. 140, § 2; L. 2006, ch. 136, § 2; L. 2013, ch. 92, § 2; July 1.
Return to KSA Listing