Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2013 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES
LICENSURE OF VEHICLE SALES AND MANUFACTURE
Delivery of motor vehicles to persons in state; who
authorized to deliver.
8-2439. Delivery of motor vehicles to persons in state; who authorized to deliver. (a) In addition to any other restrictions or requirements imposed by law, no first stage manufacturer or second stage manufacturer of vehicles, factory branch, distributor branch, or distributor or factory representative may deliver a motor vehicle in this state to a person in this state, unless such motor vehicle is delivered to the person by a vehicle dealer licensed to do business in the state of Kansas pursuant to the dealers and manufacturers licensing act and as provided in this section. Unless otherwise provided by law, all new motor vehicles shall be delivered as required by this section by a new vehicle dealer who is a party to a franchise agreement for the same line-make vehicle as that to be delivered and in the case of used motor vehicles, then by a new vehicle dealer or used vehicle dealer. As used in this section, the term "line-make vehicle" shall have the same meaning as provided in K.S.A. 8-2438, and amendments thereto.
(b) The requirements of this section shall not apply to:
(1) A person to whom the provisions of subsection (v) of K.S.A. 8-2404, and amendments thereto, apply;
(2) motor vehicles delivered by one licensed motor vehicle dealer to another within the scope of such license, including those delivered by first stage manufacturers and second stage manufacturers to each other;
(3) deliveries of motor vehicles, including those which are used, to new vehicle dealers for resale in this state by such new vehicle dealer;
(4) deliveries of used motor vehicles to auction motor vehicle dealers, used vehicle dealers and salvage vehicle dealers for resale in this state; and
(5) (A) deliveries of motor vehicles to first stage converters and second stage converters for the construction and sale of motor vehicles produced by such licensee; or
(B) the resulting motor vehicles so constructed and produced by such licensee if it has not historically relied primarily upon franchise agreements with new vehicle dealers for the retail sale in this state of a material portion of the motor vehicles it produces and does not primarily utilize or rely upon franchise agreements between itself and new vehicle dealers for the retail sale in this state of new motor vehicles produced by such first or second stage convertor.
History: L. 2000, ch. 20, § 2; Mar. 30.
Return to KSA Listing