Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2019 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
UNFAIR TRADE AND CONSUMER PROTECTION
Scrap metal dealer registration; fees.
50-6,112a. Scrap metal dealer registration; fees. [See Revisor's Note] (a) A scrap metal dealer shall not purchase any regulated scrap metal without having first registered each place of business with the attorney general as herein provided.
(b) The attorney general shall establish a system for the public to confirm scrap metal dealer registration certificates. Such system shall include a listing of valid registration certificates and such other information collected pursuant to the scrap metal theft reduction act, as the attorney general may determine is appropriate. Disclosure of any information through use of the system established by the attorney general shall not be deemed to be an endorsement of any scrap metal dealer or determination of any facts, qualifications, information or reputation of any scrap metal dealer by the attorney general, the state, or any of their respective agents, officers, employees or assigns.
(c) A registration for a scrap metal dealer shall be verified and upon a form approved by the attorney general and contain:
(1) (A) The name and residence of the applicant, including all previous names and aliases; or
(B) if the applicant is a: Corporation, the name and address of each manager, officer or director thereof, and each stockholder owning in the aggregate more than 25% of the stock of such corporation; or partnership or limited liability company, the name and address of each partner or member;
(2) the length of time that the applicant has resided within the state of Kansas and a list of all residences outside the state of Kansas during the previous 10 years;
(3) the particular place of business for which a registration is desired, the name of the business, the address where the business is to be conducted, the hours of operation and the days of the week during which the applicant proposes to engage in business;
(4) the name of the owner of the premises upon which the place of business is located; and
(5) the applicant shall disclose any prior convictions within 10 years immediately preceding the date of making the registration for: A violation of article 37 of chapter 21 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, prior to their repeal, or K.S.A. 2019 Supp. 21-5801 through 21-5839 or K.S.A. 2019 Supp. 21-6412(a)(6), and amendments thereto; perjury, K.S.A. 21-3805, prior to its repeal, or K.S.A. 2019 Supp. 21-5903, and amendments thereto; compounding a crime, K.S.A. 21-3807, prior to its repeal; obstructing legal process or official duty, K.S.A. 21-3808, prior to its repeal; falsely reporting a crime, K.S.A. 21-3818, prior to its repeal; interference with law enforcement, K.S.A. 2019 Supp. 21-5904, and amendments thereto; interference with judicial process, K.S.A. 2019 Supp. 21-5905, and amendments thereto; or any crime involving dishonesty or false statement or any substantially similar offense pursuant to the laws of any city, state or of the United States.
(d) Each registration for a scrap metal dealer to purchase regulated scrap metal shall be accompanied by a fee of not less than $500 nor more than $1,500, as prescribed by the attorney general for each particular place of business for which a registration is desired.
(e) The attorney general shall accept a registration for a scrap metal dealer as otherwise provided for herein, from any scrap metal dealer qualified to file such registration, to purchase regulated scrap metals. Such registration shall be issued for a period of one year.
(f) If an original registration is accepted, the attorney general shall grant and issue renewals thereof upon application of the registration holder, if the registration holder is qualified to receive the same and the registration has not been revoked as provided by law. The renewal fee shall be not more than $1,500, as prescribed by the attorney general.
(g) Any registration issued under the scrap metal theft reduction act shall not be transferable.
(h) This section shall not apply to a business licensed under the provisions of K.S.A. 8-2404, and amendments thereto, unless such business buys or recycles regulated scrap metal that are not motor vehicle components.
(i) The amendments made to subsections (d) and (f) by section 15 of chapter 96 of the 2015 Session Laws of Kansas shall be unenforceable and shall not apply from June 1, 2017, to July 1, 2020.
History: L. 2011, ch. 86, § 1; L. 2012, ch. 38, § 2; L. 2015, ch. 96, § 15; L. 2017, ch. 76, § 8; L. 2018, ch. 79, § 7; L. 2019, ch. 66, § 9; July 1.
CAUTION: Section was amended effective July 1, 2020, see L.2019, ch. 66, § 10.
Return to KSA Listing