Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2013 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY
21-5825. Counterfeiting. (a) Counterfeiting is manufacturing, using, displaying, advertising, distributing or possessing with intent to distribute any item or services knowing such item or services bear or are identified by a counterfeit mark.
(b) Counterfeiting is a:
(1) Severity level 7, nonperson felony if:
(A) The retail value of such item or service is $25,000 or more;
(B) such counterfeiting involves 1,000 or more items bearing a counterfeit mark; or
(C) a third or subsequent violation of this section;
(2) severity level 9, nonperson felony if:
(A) The retail value of such item or service is at least $1,000 but less than $25,000;
(B) such counterfeiting involves more than 100 but less than 1,000 items bearing a counterfeit mark; or
(C) a second violation of this section; and
(3) class A nonperson misdemeanor, if the retail value of such item or service is less than $1,000.
(c) A person having possession, custody or control of more than 25 items bearing a counterfeit mark shall be presumed to possess such items with intent to distribute.
(d) Any state or federal certificate of registration of any intellectual property shall be prima facie evidence of the facts stated therein.
(e) As used in this section:
(1) "Counterfeit mark" means:
(A) Any unauthorized reproduction or copy of intellectual property; or
(B) intellectual property affixed to any item knowingly sold, offered for sale, manufactured or distributed, or identifying services offered or rendered, without the authority of the owner of the intellectual property;
(2) "intellectual property" means any trademark, service mark or trade name as such terms are defined in K.S.A. 2011 Supp. 81-202, and amendments thereto; and
(3) "retail value" means the counterfeiter's regular selling price for the item or service bearing or identified by the counterfeit mark. In the case of items bearing a counterfeit mark which are components of a finished product, the retail value shall be the counterfeiter's regular selling price of the finished product on or in which the component would be utilized.
(f) The quantity or retail value of items or services shall include the aggregate quantity or retail value of all items bearing, or services identified by, every counterfeit mark the defendant manufactures, uses, displays, advertises, distributes or possesses.
History: L. 2010, ch. 136, § 111; July 1, 2011.
Return to KSA Listing