Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2019 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES
Registration of vehicles, exceptions.
8-128. Registration of vehicles, exceptions. (a) The following need not be registered under this act, any:
(1) Implement of husbandry;
(2) all-terrain vehicle;
(3) micro utility truck;
(4) golf cart;
(5) work-site utility vehicle;
(6) road roller or road machinery temporarily operated or moved upon the highways;
(7) municipally owned fire truck;
(8) privately owned fire truck subject to a mutual aid agreement with a municipality;
(9) school bus owned and operated by a school district or a nonpublic school that has the name of the municipality, school district or nonpublic school plainly painted thereon;
(10) farm trailer used in carrying not more than 6,000 pounds owned by a person engaged in farming, which trailer is used exclusively by the owner to transport agricultural products produced by such owner or commodities purchased by the owner for use on the farm owned or rented by the owner of such trailer and the weight of any such farm trailer, plus the cargo weight of 6,000 pounds or less, shall not be considered in determining the gross weight for which the truck or truck tractor propelling the same shall be registered;
(11) farm trailer used and designed for transporting hay or forage from a field to a storage area or from a storage area to a feedlot that is only incidentally moved or operated upon the highways, except that this paragraph shall not apply to a farm semitrailer; or
(12) electric-assisted scooter.
(b) Self-propelled cranes where the crane operator on a job site operates the controls of such crane from a permanent housing or module on the crane and the crane is not used for the transportation of property, except the property that is required for the operation of the crane itself and earth moving equipment that are equipped with pneumatic tires may be moved on the highways of this state from one job location to another, or to or from places of storage, delivery or repair, without complying with the provisions of the law relating to registration and display of license plates but shall comply with all the other requirements of the law relating to motor vehicles.
(c) Oil well servicing, oil well clean-out or oil well drilling machinery or equipment need not be registered under this act but shall comply with all the other requirements of the law relating to motor vehicles.
(d) A truck permanently mounted with a hydraulic concrete pump and placing boom may be moved on the highways of this state from one job location to another, or to or from places of storage delivery or repair, without being registered under this act, but shall comply with all the other requirements of the law relating to motor vehicles. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to ready-mix concrete trucks.
History: L. 1929, ch. 81, § 6; L. 1933, ch. 72, § 1; L. 1957, ch. 58, § 1; L. 1961, ch. 46, § 1; L. 1967, ch. 57, § 5; L. 1972, ch. 19, § 1; L. 1976, ch. 40, § 3; L. 1977, ch. 29, § 1; L. 1980, ch. 30, § 1; L. 1981, ch. 34, § 1; L. 1984, ch. 27, § 2; L. 1988, ch. 40, § 2; L. 1994, ch. 235, § 2; L. 1995, ch. 61, § 1; L. 1996, ch. 220, § 4; L. 1997, ch. 119, § 2; L. 2001, ch. 41, § 1; L. 2001, ch. 211, § 1; L. 2006, ch. 136, § 1; L. 2007, ch. 140, § 5; L. 2008, ch. 167, § 4; L. 2009, ch. 119, § 5; L. 2019, ch. 61, § 10; July 1.
Return to KSA Listing