Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2018 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
STATE DEPARTMENTS; PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
SETOFF AGAINST DEBTORS OF THE STATE, MUNICIPALITIES AND CERTAIN
75-6202. Definitions. As used in article 62 of chapter 75 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, and amendments thereto:
(a) "Debtor" means any person who:
(1) Owes a debt to the state of Kansas or any state agency or any municipality;
(2) owes support to an individual, or an agency of another state, who is receiving assistance in collecting that support under K.S.A. 39-756 or K.S.A. 2018 Supp. 20-378, and amendments thereto, or under part D of title IV of the federal social security act, 42 U.S.C. § 651 et seq., as amended; or
(3) owes a debt to a foreign state agency.
(b) "Debt" means:
(1) Any liquidated sum due and owing to the state of Kansas, or any state agency, municipality or foreign state agency which has accrued through contract, subrogation, tort, operation of law, or any other legal theory regardless of whether there is an outstanding judgment for that sum. A debt shall not include special assessments except when the owner of the property assessed petitioned for the improvement and any successor in interest of such owner of property;
(2) any amount of support due and owing an individual, or an agency of another state, who is receiving assistance in collecting that support under K.S.A. 39-756 or K.S.A. 2018 Supp. 20-378, and amendments thereto, or under part D of title IV of the federal social security act, 42 U.S.C. § 651 et seq., as amended, which amount shall be considered a debt due and owing the district court trustee or the Kansas department for children and families for the purposes of this act; or
(3) any assessment of court costs, fines, fees, moneys expended by the state in providing counsel and other defense services to indigent defendants or other charges which a district court judgment has ordered to be paid to the court and which remain unpaid in whole or in part, and includes any interest or penalties on such unpaid amounts as provided for in the judgment or by law. Such amount also includes the cost of collection when the collection services of a contracting agent are utilized.
(c) "Refund" means any amount of income tax refund due to any person as a result of an overpayment of tax, and for this purpose, a refund due to a husband and wife resulting from a joint return shall be considered to be separately owned by each individual in the proportion of each such spouse's contribution to income, as the term "contribution to income" is defined by rules and regulations of the secretary of revenue.
(d) "Net proceeds collected" means gross proceeds collected through final setoff against a debtor's earnings, refund or other payment due from the state or any state agency minus any collection assistance fee charged by the director of accounts and reports of the department of administration.
(e) "State agency" means any state office, officer, department, board, commission, institution, bureau, agency or authority or any division or unit thereof and any judicial district of this state or the clerk or clerks thereof. "State agency" also shall include any: (1) District court utilizing collection services pursuant to K.S.A. 75-719, and amendments thereto, to collect debts owed to such court; and (2) contracting agent, as defined in K.S.A. 75-719, and amendments thereto, with which a district court contracts to collect debts owed to such court. Such contracting agent may directly establish a debt setoff account with the director for the sole purpose of collecting debts owed to courts.
(f) "Person" means an individual, proprietorship, partnership, limited partnership, association, trust, estate, business trust, corporation, other entity or a governmental agency, unit or subdivision.
(g) "Director" means the director of accounts and reports of the department of administration.
(h) "Municipality" means any municipality as defined by K.S.A. 75-1117, and amendments thereto, or any community mental health center organized pursuant to the provisions of K.S.A. 19-4001 et seq., and amendments thereto, and licensed pursuant to K.S.A. 2018 Supp. 39-2001 et seq., and amendments thereto, or any mental health clinic organized pursuant to the provisions of K.S.A. 65-211 et seq., and amendments thereto, and licensed pursuant to K.S.A. 2018 Supp. 39-2001 et seq., and amendments thereto.
(i) "Payor agency" means any state agency which holds money for, or owes money to, a debtor.
(j) "Foreign state or foreign state agency" means the states of Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska or Oklahoma or any agency of such states which has entered into a reciprocal agreement pursuant to K.S.A. 75-6215, and amendments thereto.
(k) "Facility owner licensee" shall have the same meaning as the term is defined in K.S.A. 74-8802, and amendments thereto.
(l) "Racetrack gaming facility manager" shall have the same meaning as that term is defined in K.S.A. 74-8702, and amendments thereto.
(m) "Lottery gaming facility manager" shall have the same meaning as that term is defined in K.S.A. 74-8702, and amendments thereto.
(n) "Prize" shall have the same meaning as that term is defined in K.S.A. 74-8702, and amendments thereto, and any winnings from parimutuel wagering as provided by the Kansas parimutuel racing act, K.S.A. 74-8801 et seq., and amendments thereto.
History: L. 1981, ch. 342, § 2; L. 1985, ch. 115, § 52; L. 1993, ch. 232, § 3; L. 1996, ch. 214, § 39; L. 1997, ch. 164, § 1; L. 1998, ch. 44, § 1; L. 2012, ch. 131, § 2; L. 2014, ch. 115, § 400; L. 2015, ch. 53, § 6; L. 2018, ch. 96, § 4; May 24.
Return to KSA Listing