Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2013 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES
Same; expiration; renewal; fee; anatomical gift; organ
8-1325. Same; expiration; renewal; fee; anatomical gift; organ donor registry. (a) Every identification card shall expire, unless earlier canceled or subsection (c) of K.S.A. 8-1324, and amendments thereto, applies, on the sixth birthday of the applicant following the date of original issue, except as otherwise provided by K.S.A. 8-1329, and amendments thereto. Renewal of any identification card shall be made for a term of six years and shall expire in a like manner as the originally issued identification card, unless surrendered earlier or subsection (c) of K.S.A. 8-1324, and amendments thereto, applies. For any person who has been issued an identification card, the division shall mail a notice of expiration or renewal at least 30 days prior to the expiration of such person's identification card at the address shown on such identification card. The division shall include with such notice, written information required under subsection (b). Any application for renewal received later than 90 days after expiration of the identification card shall be considered to be an application for an original identification card. The division shall require payment of a fee of $14 for each identification card renewal, except that persons who are 65 or more years of age or who are persons with a disability, as defined in K.S.A. 8-1,124, and amendments thereto, shall be required to pay a fee of only $10.
(b) The division shall reference the website of the agency in a person's notice of expiration or renewal under subsection (a). The division shall provide the following information on the website of the agency:
(1) Information explaining the person's right to make an anatomical gift in accordance with K.S.A. 8-1328, and amendments thereto, and the revised uniform anatomical gift act, K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 65-3220 through 65-3244, and amendments thereto;
(2) information describing the organ donation registry program maintained by the Kansas federally designated organ procurement organization. The information required under this paragraph shall include, in a type, size and format that is conspicuous in relation to the surrounding material, the address and telephone number of Kansas' federally designated organ procurement organization, along with an advisory to call such designated organ procurement organization with questions about the organ donor registry program;
(3) information giving the applicant the opportunity to be placed on the organ donation registry described in paragraph (2);
(4) inform the applicant that, if the applicant indicates under this subsection a willingness to have such applicant's name placed on the organ donor registry described in paragraph (2), the division will forward the applicant's name, gender, date of birth and most recent address to the organ donation registry maintained by the Kansas federally designated organ procurement organization, as required by paragraph (6);
(5) the division may fulfill the requirements of paragraph (4) by one or more of the following methods:
(A) Providing such information on the website of the agency; or
(B) providing printed material to an applicant who personally applies for an identification card;
(6) if an applicant indicates a willingness under this subsection to have such applicant's name placed on the organ donor registry described, the division shall within 10 days forward the applicant's name, gender, date of birth and address to the organ donor registry maintained by the Kansas federally designated organ procurement organization. The division may forward information under this subsection by mail or by electronic means. The division shall not maintain a record of the name or address of an individual who indicates a willingness to have such person's name placed on the organ donor registry after forwarding that information to the organ donor registry under this subsection. Information about an applicant's indication of a willingness to have such applicant's name placed on the organ donor registry that is obtained by the division and forwarded under this paragraph shall be confidential and not disclosed.
History: L. 1973, ch. 31, § 2;L. 1983, ch. 39, § 2;L. 1986, ch. 36, § 13;L. 1997, ch. 36, § 4;L. 1998, ch. 132, § 1;L. 2002, ch. 60, § 3;L. 2003, ch. 63, § 5;L. 2007, ch. 160, § 11;L. 2007, ch. 195, § 5;L. 2010, ch. 146, § 8; May 27.
Return to KSA Listing