Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2013 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
ROADS AND BRIDGES
State highway fund; apportionment; city connecting links;
use of funds.
68-416. State highway fund; apportionment; city connecting links; use of funds. The state highway fund shall be apportioned as follows:
(a) The secretary of transportation annually shall apportion and distribute quarterly, on the first day of January, April, July and October, to cities on the state highway system from the state highway fund moneys at the rate of $3,000 per year per lane per mile for the maintenance of streets and highways in cities designated by the secretary as city connecting links. Unless a consolidated street and highway fund is established pursuant to K.S.A. 12-1,119, and amendments thereto, all moneys distributed by the secretary shall be credited to the street and alley funds of such cities. All moneys so distributed shall be used solely for the maintenance of city connecting links. Maintenance of such city connecting links shall be as prescribed in K.S.A. 68-416a, and amendments thereto. As used in this subsection, "lane" means the portion of the roadway for use of moving traffic of a standard width prescribed by the secretary. In lieu of such apportionment, the secretary, by and with the consent of the governing body of any city within the state of Kansas, may maintain such streets within the city and pay for such maintenance from the highway fund.
(b) All of the remainder of such highway fund shall be used by the secretary of transportation for:
(1) The construction, improvement, reconstruction and maintenance of the state highway system;
(2) improvements in transportation programs to aid elderly persons, persons with disabilities and the general public;
(3) for any purpose specified in K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 68-2314b, and amendments thereto;
(4) the support and maintenance of the department of transportation;
(5) the expenses of administering the motor vehicle registration and drivers' license laws; and
(6) the payment of losses to department of transportation employees authorized by K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 75-5062, and amendments thereto.
History: L. 1927, ch. 255, § 7;L. 1929, ch. 225, § 17;L. 1933, ch. 241, § 1;L. 1941, ch. 309, § 1;L. 1949, ch. 344, § 3;L. 1958, ch. 56, § 1 (Budget Session);L. 1959, ch. 264, § 1;L. 1967, ch. 353, § 1;L. 1970, ch. 397, § 4;L. 1974, ch. 271, § 1;L. 1975, ch. 427, § 100;L. 1978, ch. 271, § 4;L. 1979, ch. 211, § 1;L. 1987, ch. 260, § 2;L. 1989, ch. 209, § 28;L. 1994, ch. 236, § 1;L. 1998, ch. 63, § 2;L. 1999, ch. 137, § 10;L. 2010, ch. 156, § 21; June 3.
Return to KSA Listing