Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2013 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
ROADS AND BRIDGES
TOLL ROADS OR TURNPIKES
Same; general grant of powers.
68-2004. Same; general grant of powers. (a) The authority is hereby authorized and empowered to:
(1) Adopt bylaws for the regulation of its affairs and the conduct of its business;
(2) adopt an official seal and alter the same at pleasure;
(3) maintain an office at such place or places within the state as it may designate;
(4) sue and be sued in its own name, plead and be impleaded;
(5) determine the location, subject to the approval of the secretary of transportation, of each turnpike project financed under the provisions of this act, determine its design and the materials of construction, and construct, maintain, repair and operate the same;
(6) issue turnpike revenue bonds of the authority for any of its corporate purposes, payable solely from the tolls and revenues pledged for their payment, and to refund its bonds, all as provided in this act;
(7) fix and revise from time to time and charge and collect tolls for transit over each turnpike project constructed by it;
(8) adopt rules and regulations for the use of any such turnpike project, and adopt rules and regulations for traffic control on such project;
(9) acquire, hold and dispose of real and personal property in the exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties under this act;
(10) designate the locations, and establish, limit and control such points of ingress to and egress from each turnpike project as may be necessary or desirable in the judgment of the authority to insure the proper operation and maintenance of such project, and to prohibit entrance to such project from any point or points not so designated;
(11) make and enter into all contracts and agreements necessary or incidental to the performance of its duties and the execution of its powers under this act;
(12) employ consulting engineers, attorneys, accountants, construction and financial experts, superintendents, managers, and such other employees and agents as may be necessary in its judgment, and to fix their compensation;
(13) receive and accept from any federal agency grants for or in aid of the construction of any turnpike project, and to receive and accept aid or contributions from any source of either money, property, labor or other things of value, to be held, used and applied only for the purposes for which such grants and contributions may be made; and
(14) do all acts and things necessary or convenient to carry out the powers expressly granted in this act.
(b) Violation of any of the rules and regulations adopted under this section shall be unlawful and subject to the penalties contained in K.S.A. 8-2116 and amendments thereto.
History: L. 1953, ch. 308, § 4; L. 1975, ch. 427, §170; L. 1983, ch. 230, § 1; April 21.
Return to KSA Listing