Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2015 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
Individual Income Tax; Corporate Income Tax; Privilege
Tax credit for taxpayers domiciled in a rural opportunity
79-32,267. Tax credit for taxpayers domiciled in a rural opportunity zone. (a) For taxable years commencing after December 31, 2011, and before January 1, 2022, there shall be allowed as a credit against the tax liability of a resident individual taxpayer an amount equal to the resident individual's income tax liability under the provisions of the Kansas income tax act, when the resident individual:
(1) Establishes domicile in a rural opportunity zone on or after July 1, 2011, and prior to January 1, 2021 and was domiciled outside this state for five or more years immediately prior to establishing their domicile in a rural opportunity zone in this state;
(2) had Kansas source income less than $10,000 in any one year for five or more years immediately prior to establishing their domicile in a rural opportunity zone in this state; and
(3) was domiciled in a rural opportunity zone during the entire taxable year for which such credit is claimed.
(b) A resident individual may claim the credit authorized by this section for not more than five consecutive years following establishment of their domicile in a rural opportunity zone.
(c) The maximum amount of any refund under this section shall be equal to the amount withheld from the resident individual's wages or payments other than wages pursuant to K.S.A. 79-3294 et seq., and amendments thereto, or paid by the resident individual as estimated taxes pursuant to K.S.A. 79-32,101 et seq., and amendments thereto.
(d) No credit shall be allowed under this section if:
(1) The resident individual's income tax return on which the credit is claimed is not timely filed, including any extension; or
(2) the resident individual is delinquent in filing any return with, or paying any tax due to, the state of Kansas or any political subdivision thereof.
(e) This section shall be part of and supplemental to the Kansas income tax act.
History: L. 2011, ch. 22, § 2; L. 2015, ch. 99, § 27; July 1.
Return to KSA Listing