Notice Number:99-11
Tax Type:Kansas Retailers' Sales Tax
Brief Description:Notice to fireworks retailers regarding Dec. 28 - Jan. 1 sales period.
Approval Date:06/28/1999

NOTICE 99-11

Important Notice to Kansas Fireworks Retailers

The 1999 Kansas Legislature enacted a provision to allow for the sale of fireworks during the period of December 28, 1999 to January 1, 2000. This provision is to allow for the celebration of the year 2000. This period is in addition to the standard period for the sale of fireworks to celebrate Independence Day.

If you plan to sell fireworks during the period of December 28, 1999, to January 1, 2000, you will need to notify the Kansas Department of Revenue. If you are currently registered to sell fireworks, you will need to contact the department to include this reporting period on your sales tax account. If you are not currently registered, you will need to obtain a Business Tax Application to register for the sale of fireworks.

Other information that may pertain to some retailers: PTO’s, PTA’s, Girl Scout and Boy Scout Troops, Campfire Girls, and 4-H clubs may purchase and sell fireworks without filling out an Kansas Sales Tax application. To obtain the appropriate exemption certificate to purchase exempt, you may contact the Kansas Department of Revenue at the below address.


To obtain additional copies of this or any other notice, call the Kansas Department of Revenue’s voice mail forms request line at (785) 296-4937 or download them from our web site: For assistance, contact the Kansas Department of Revenue at the locations below.

Topeka Assistance
Metropolitan Assistance
Wichita Assistance
(785) 296-0222
(913) 677-0158
(316) 337-6140
Docking State Office Building
Cloverleaf Office Park, Bldg. 3
Finney State Office Building
915 SW Harrison, 1st Floor
6405 Metcalf Ave., Suite 120
230 E. William, Room 7150
Topeka, KS 66612-1588
Overland Park, KS 66202-3928
Wichita, KS 67202-4002

Notice 99-11
June 28, 1999

Date Composed: 06/24/1999 Date Modified: 10/10/2001