Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2013 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
Notice to appear.
22-2408. Notice to appear. (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (6) of this section, whenever a law enforcement officer detains any person without a warrant, for any act punishable as a misdemeanor, and such person is not immediately taken before a magistrate for further proceedings, the officer may serve upon such person a written notice to appear in court. Such notice to appear shall contain the name and address of the person detained, the crime charged, and the time and place when and where such person shall appear in court.
(2) The time specified in such notice to appear must be at least seven days after such notice is given unless the person shall demand an earlier hearing.
(3) The place specified in such notice to appear must be before some court within the county in which the crime is alleged to have been committed which has jurisdiction of such crime.
(4) The person detained, in order to secure release as provided in this section, must give his or her written promise to appear in the court by signing the written notice prepared by the officer. The original of the notice shall be retained by the officer; a copy delivered to the person detained, and the officer shall forthwith release the person.
(5) Such law enforcement officer shall cause to be filed, without unnecessary delay, a complaint in the court in which a person released under subsection (4) is given notice to appear, charging the crime stated in said notice. If the person released fails to appear as required in the notice to appear, a warrant shall be issued for his or her arrest.
(6) The procedures prescribed by this section shall not apply to the detention or arrest of any person for the violation of any law regulating traffic on the highways of this state, and the provisions of K.S.A. 8-2104 through 8-2108, and amendments thereto, and the code of procedure for municipal courts shall govern such procedures.
History: L. 1970, ch. 129, § 22-2408; L. 1974, ch. 149, § 1; L.1975, ch. 33, § 6;L. 2010, ch. 135, § 13; July 1.
Return to KSA Listing