Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2013 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES
8-234a. Definitions. (a) As used in the motor vehicle drivers' license act, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them herein:
(1) "Drivers' license examiner" or "examiner" means a drivers' license examiner of the division of vehicles or any person whom the director of vehicles has authorized, pursuant to the authority granted by this act, to accept applications for drivers' licenses and administer the examinations required for the issuance or renewal of drivers' licenses. Any county treasurer authorized to accept applications for drivers' licenses or administer drivers' license examinations shall be deemed to be acting as an agent of the state of Kansas;
(2) "nonresident" means every person who is not a resident of this state. For the purposes of the motor vehicle drivers' license act any person who owns, rents or leases real estate in Kansas as such person's residence and engages in a trade, business or profession within Kansas or registers to vote in Kansas or enrolls such person's children in a school in this state or purchases Kansas registration for a motor vehicle, shall be deemed a resident of the state of Kansas 90 days after the conditions stated in this subsection commence, except that military personnel on active duty and their military dependents who are residents of another state, shall not be considered residents of the state of Kansas for the purpose of this act;
(3) "patrol" means the state highway patrol;
(4) "address of principal residence" means: (A) The place where a person makes his or her permanent principal home; (B) place where a person resides, has an intention to remain and where they intend to return following an absence; or (C) place of habitation to which, whenever the person is absent, the person intends to return. If a person eats at one place and sleeps at another, the place where the person sleeps shall be considered the person's address of principal residence;
(5) "state" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa and the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands;
(6) "wireless communication device" means any wireless electronic communication device that provides for voice or data communication between two or more parties, including, but not limited to, a mobile or cellular telephone, a text messaging device, a personal digital assistant that sends or receives messages, an audio-video player that sends or receives messages or a laptop computer; and
(7) "religious organization" means any organization, church, body of communicants, or group, gathered in common membership for mutual support and edification in piety, worship and religious observances, or a society of individuals united for religious purposes at a definite place and which religious organization maintains an established place of worship within this state and has a regular schedule of services or meetings at least on a weekly basis and has been determined to be organized and created as a bona fide religious organization.
(b) As used in this act, the words and phrases defined by the sections in article 14 of chapter 8 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, and amendments thereto, shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them therein, unless a different meaning is ascribed to any such word or phrase by subsection (a) of this section.
History: L. 1975, ch. 36, § 1;L. 1993, ch. 252, § 1;L. 2007, ch. 160, § 3;L. 2007, ch. 195, § 2;L. 2009, ch. 34, § 3;L. 2010, ch. 146, § 1; May 27.
Return to KSA Listing