Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2014 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANIES
Corporate Income Tax; Corporation Franchise Tax
Distribution of assets.
17-76,119. Distribution of assets. (a) Upon the winding up of a limited liability company, the assets shall be distributed as follows:
(1) To creditors, including members and managers who are creditors, to the extent otherwise permitted by law, in satisfaction of liabilities of the limited liability company, whether by payment or the making of reasonable provision for payment thereof, other than liabilities for which reasonable provision for payment has been made and liabilities for distributions to members and former members under K.S.A. 17-76,104 or17-76,107, and amendments thereto;
(2) unless otherwise provided in an operating agreement, to members and former members in satisfaction of liabilities for distributions under K.S.A. 17-76,104 or 17-76,107, and amendments thereto;
(3) unless otherwise provided in an operating agreement, to members first for the return of their contributions and second respecting their limited liability company interests, in the proportions in which the members share in distributions.
(b) A limited liability company which has dissolved shall:
(1) Pay or make reasonable provision to pay all claims and obligations, including all contingent, conditional or unmatured contractual claims, known to the limited liability company;
(2) make such provision as will be reasonably likely to be sufficient to provide compensation for any claim against the limited liability company which is the subject of a pending action, suit or proceeding to which the limited liability company is a party; and
(3) make such provision as will be reasonably likely to be sufficient to provide compensation for claims that have not been made known to the limited liability company or that have not arisen but that, based on facts known to the limited liability company, are likely to arise or to become known to the limited liability company within 10 years after the date of dissolution.
If there are sufficient assets, such claims and obligations shall be paid in full and any such provision for payment made shall be made in full. If there are insufficient assets, such claims and obligations shall be paid or provided for according to their priority and, among claims of equal priority, ratably to the extent of assets available therefor. Unless otherwise provided in the operating agreement, any remaining assets shall be distributed as provided in this act. Any liquidating trustee winding up a limited liability company's affairs who has complied with this section shall not be personally liable to the claimants of the dissolved limited liability company by reason of such person's actions in winding up the limited liability company.
(c) A member who receives a distribution in violation of subsection (a) and who knew at the time of the distribution that the distribution violated subsection (a), shall be liable to the limited liability company for the amount of the distribution. For purposes of the immediately preceding sentence, the term "distribution" shall not include amounts constituting reasonable compensation for present or past services or reasonable payments made in the ordinary course of business pursuant to a bona fide retirement plan or other benefits program. A member who receives a distribution in violation of subsection (a) and who did not know at the time of the distribution that the distribution violated subsection (a), shall not be liable for the amount of the distribution. Subject to subsection (d), this subsection shall not affect any obligation or liability of a member under an agreement or other applicable law for the amount of a distribution.
(d) Unless otherwise agreed, a member who receives a distribution from a limited liability company to which this section applies shall have no liability under this act or other applicable law for the amount of the distribution after the expiration of three years from the date of the distribution unless an action to recover the distribution from such member is commenced prior to the expiration of the three-year period and an adjudication of liability against such member is made in the action.
(e) K.S.A. 17-76,110, and amendments thereto, shall not apply to a distribution to which this section applies.
History: L. 1999, ch. 119, § 58; L. 2014, ch. 40, § 44; July 1.
Return to KSA Listing