Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2018 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
INTOXICATING LIQUORS AND BEVERAGES
LICENSING AND RELATED PROVISIONS; CITY OPTION
Alcoholic Beverage Control
License applications; forms; fees; bonds.
41-317. License applications; forms; fees; bonds. (a) Applications for all licenses under this act shall be completed and submitted to the director in a manner prescribed by the director. Each applicant shall submit an application fee of $30 for each initial application and $10 for each renewal application to defray the cost of processing the application.
(b) Each applicant shall submit to the division of alcoholic beverage control the full amount of the application fee and:
(1) The full amount of the license fee required to be paid for the kind of license specified in the application; or
(2) one-half of the full amount of the license fee required to be paid for the kind of license specified in the application.
(c) If the applicant elects to pay only one-half of the license fee pursuant to subsection (b)(2), the remaining one-half of the license fee plus 10% of such remaining balance shall be due and payable one year from the date of issuance of the license. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, failure to pay the full amount due under this subsection on the date it is due shall result in the automatic cancellation of such license for the remainder of the license term. The director may, at the director's sole discretion and after examination of the circumstances, extend the date payment is due pursuant to this subsection for not more than 30 days beyond the date such payment is originally due.
(d) Any license fee paid by an applicant shall be returned to the applicant if the application is denied.
(e) Payment of all fees required to be paid pursuant to this section may be made by personal, certified or cashier's check, United States post office money order, debit or credit card or cash, or by electronic payment authorized by the applicant in a manner prescribed by the director.
(f) All fees received by the director pursuant to this section shall be remitted by the director to the state treasurer in accordance with the provisions of K.S.A. 75-4215, and amendments thereto. Upon receipt of each such remittance, the state treasurer shall deposit the entire amount in the state treasury to the credit of the state general fund.
(g) Every applicant for a manufacturer's, distributor's, nonbeverage user's, microbrewery, microdistillery, farm winery, retailer's or special order shipping license shall file with the application a joint and several bond on a form prescribed by the director and executed by good and sufficient corporate sureties licensed to do business within the state of Kansas to the director, in the following amounts:
(1) For a manufacturer, $25,000;
(2) for a spirits distributor, $15,000 or an amount equal to the highest monthly liability of the distributor for taxes imposed by the Kansas liquor control act for any of the 12 months immediately prior to renewal of the distributor's license, whichever amount is greater;
(3) for a beer or wine distributor, $5,000 or an amount equal to the highest monthly liability of the distributor for taxes imposed by the Kansas liquor control act for any of the 12 months immediately prior to renewal of the distributor's license, whichever amount is greater;
(4) for a retailer, $2,000;
(5) for nonbeverage users, $200 for class 1, $500 for class 2, $1,000 for class 3, $5,000 for class 4 and $10,000 for class 5;
(6) for a microbrewery, microdistillery or a farm winery, $2,000; and
(7) for a winery holding a special order shipping license, $750, unless the winery has already complied with subsection (g)(6).
If a distributor holds or applies for more than one distributor's license, only one bond for all such licenses shall be required, which bond shall be in an amount equal to the highest applicable bond.
(h) All bonds required by this section shall be conditioned on the licensee's compliance with the provisions of this act and payment of all taxes, fees, fines and forfeitures that may be assessed against the licensee.
History: L. 1949, ch. 242, § 33; L. 1953, ch. 238, § 4; L. 1958, ch. 50, § 1 (Budget Session); L. 1983, ch. 161, § 9; L. 1985, ch. 170, § 28; L. 1987, ch. 182, § 26; L. 1989, ch. 146, § 2; L. 2001, ch. 5, § 126; L. 2009, ch. 114, § 5; L. 2010, ch. 142, § 8; L. 2012, ch. 144, § 17; L. 2018, ch. 11, § 2; July 1.
Return to KSA Listing