Kansas Administrative Regulations
KANSAS DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE -- DIVISION OF A.B.C.
Containers and Labels
Intoxicating Liquors and Beverages
Containers, nature and form; change of original containers or labels.
14-6-1 Containers, nature and form; change of original containers or labels. (a)(1) Each original package of alcoholic liquor or cereal malt beverage sold or offered for sale in this state shall be constructed of such material and be in such form as has been generally founded by the industry and recognized by federal and state enforcement officers to be safe, sanitary, and in no manner prejudicial to the health or interest of the public.
(2) All original packages of alcoholic liquor shall, before being offered for sale or sold, be approved by the director as to nature and form. Each manufacturer or corporate subsidiary of any manufacturer who markets the manufacturer's products through a subsidiary, each rectifier, distiller, and fermenter and each distributor of alcoholic liquor bottled in foreign countries shall submit an approved copy of the federal label approval form for each container offered for sale in this state.
(3) Each manufacturer or corporate subsidiary of a manufacturer who markets the manufacturer's products through a subsidiary, each rectifier, distiller, and fermenter, and each distributor of alcoholic liquor bottled in foreign countries, wishing to offer alcoholic liquor for sale in this state shall, upon requesting authority to do so, furnish a copy of the price list containing the information required by K.A.R. 14-14-10.
Containers and Labels
(4) After a container has been approved as to nature and form for sale in Kansas, further approval shall not be required.
(5) Each item shall be approved prior to posting it on the first of any month. No new container embodying changes as to nature and form for the same brand or kind of merchandise shall be sold or offered for sale until an approved copy of the federal label approval form has been submitted to the director.
(6) Imported containers embodying substantially the same brand, type and age of alcoholic liquor as that offered domestically by the same manufacturer or supplier, or a subsidiary of same, may be approved for sale in Kansas by the director.
(7) A container shall not be approved for sale in this state which, because of its design, composition or form, is obscene material.
(b) Whenever any original package of alcoholic liquor which has been approved as provided by subsection (a) of this regulation is changed by different labeling, closure, container, age or proof or changed in any other respect which, in the opinion of the director, constitutes a significant package change, the following procedures shall be followed:
(1) The new package, which reflects the change or changes, shall, before being offered for sale or sold, be approved by the director as to nature and form and shall be subject to all other provisions of subsection (a) of this regulation.
(2) To insure the orderly depletion of old packages in the inventories of licensed distributors, the manufacturer or supplier, subject to approval by the director, may redistribute at the expense of the manufacturer or supplier, among licensed distributors, the remaining stocks of the old packages prior to the release of the new packages. All inventories of the old package in the hands of the distributors shall be depleted before the new package may be offered for sale. (Authorized by K.S.A. 1989 Supp. 41-210, implementing K.S.A. 41-211; effective Jan. , 1966; amended Jan. 1, 1969; amended Jan. 1, 1970; amended Jan. 1, 1971; amended, E-80-28, Dec. 12, 1979; amended May 1, 1980; amended Oct. 1, 1988, amended Aug. 6, 1990.)
Return to KSA Listing