Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2013 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CRIMES AGAINST THE PUBLIC SAFETY
Endangering the food supply; aggravated endangering the food supply.
21-6317. Endangering the food supply; aggravated endangering the food supply. (a) Endangering the food supply is knowingly:
(1) Bringing into this state any domestic animal which is infected with any contagious or infectious disease or any animal which has been exposed to any contagious or infectious disease;
(2) exposing any animal in this state to any contagious or infectious disease;
(3) except as permitted under K.S.A. 2-2112 et seq., and amendments thereto, bringing or releasing into this state any plant pest as defined in K.S.A. 2-2113, and amendments thereto, or exposing any plant to a plant pest; or
(4) exposing any raw agricultural commodity, animal feed or processed food to any contaminant or contagious or infectious disease.
(b) Aggravated endangering the food supply is endangering the food supply, as defined in subsection (a), when done with the intent to cause:
(1) Damage to plants or animals or to cause economic harm or social unrest; or
(2) illness or injury or death to a human being or beings.
(c) (1) Endangering the food supply is a:
(A) Class A nonperson misdemeanor, except as provided in subsection (c)(1)(B); and
(B) severity level 4, nonperson felony when the contagious or infectious disease is foot-and-mouth disease.
(2) Aggravated endangering the food supply as defined in:
(A) Subsection (b)(1) is a severity level 3, nonperson felony; and
(B) subsection (b)(2) is a severity level 3, person felony.
(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to bona fide experiments and actions related thereto carried on by commonly recognized research facilities.
(e) As used in this section:
(1) "Animal feed" means an article which is intended for use for food for animals other than humans and which is intended for use as a substantial source of nutrients in the diet of the animal, and is not limited to a mixture intended to be the sole ration of the animal;
(2) "contagious or infectious disease" means any disease which can be spread from one subject to another by direct or indirect contact or by an intermediate agent, including, but not limited to, anthrax, all species of brucellosis, equine infectious anemia, hog cholera, pseudorabies, psoroptic mange, rabies, tuberculosis, vesicular stomatitis, avian influenza, pullorum, fowl typhoid, psittacosis, viscerotropic velogenic Newcastle disease, foot-and-mouth disease, rinderpest, African swine fever, piroplasmosis, vesicular exanthema, Johne's disease, scabies, scrapies, bovine leukosis and bovine spongiform encephalopathy;
(3) "processed food" means any food other than a raw agricultural commodity and includes any raw agricultural commodity that has been subject to processing, such as canning, cooking, freezing, dehydration or milling; and
(4) "raw agricultural commodity" means any food in its raw or natural state, including all fruits that are washed, colored or otherwise treated in their unpeeled natural form prior to marketing.
History: L. 2010, ch. 136, § 202; July 1, 2011.
Return to KSA Listing