Kansas Statutes Annotated
Updated Through the 2015 Legislative Session
Return to KSA Listing
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY
Criminal damage to property; aggravated criminal damage to
21-5813. Criminal damage to property; aggravated criminal damage to property. (a) Criminal damage to property is by means other than by fire or explosive:
(1) Knowingly damaging, destroying, defacing or substantially impairing the use of any property in which another has an interest without the consent of such other person; or
(2) damaging, destroying, defacing or substantially impairing the use of any property with intent to injure or defraud an insurer or lienholder.
(b) Aggravated criminal damage to property is criminal damage to property, as defined in subsection (a)(1), if the value or amount of damage exceeds $5,000, committed with the intent to obtain any regulated scrap metal as defined in K.S.A. 2015 Supp. 50-6,109, and amendments thereto, or any items listed in K.S.A. 2015 Supp. 50-6,111(d), and amendments thereto, upon:
(1) Any building, structure, personal property or place used primarily for worship or any religious purpose;
(2) any building, structure or place used as a school or as an educational facility;
(3) any building, structure or place used by a non-profit or charitable business, corporation, firm, service or association;
(4) any grave, cemetery, mortuary or personal property of the cemetery or mortuary or other facility used for the purpose of burial or memorializing the dead;
(5) any agricultural property or agricultural infrastructure;
(6) any construction, mining or recycling facility, structure or site;
(7) any utility, utility service, telecommunication, telecommunication service, cable or video service facility, property, building, structure, site or component thereof;
(8) any municipal, county or state building, structure, site or property;
(9) any residential, commercial, industrial or agricultural irrigation, sprinkler or watering system or component thereof;
(10) the infrastructure of any residence, building or structure;
(11) any historical marker, plaque or work of art;
(12) any vehicle or transportation building, facility, structure, site or property; or
(13) any other building, structure, residence, facility, site, place, property, vehicle or any infrastructure thereof.
(c) Criminal damage to property if the property:
(1) Is damaged to the extent of $25,000 or more is a severity level 7, nonperson felony;
(2) is damaged to the extent of at least $1,000 but less than $25,000 is a severity level 9, nonperson felony; and
(3) damaged is of the value of less than $1,000 or is of the value of $1,000 or more and is damaged to the extent of less than $1,000 is a class B nonperson misdemeanor.
(d) Aggravated criminal damage to property is a severity level 6, nonperson felony.
(e) (1) As used in subsection (b):
(A) "Infrastructure" includes any fixture to, attachment upon or part of a residence, building or structure's framework, electrical wiring and appurtenances, plumbing or heating and air systems; and
(B) "site" includes any area, place or location set aside for specific use or uses, including, but not limited to, storage, staging, repair, sorting, transportation, planning or organization.
(2) Any of the items or locations listed in subsection (b) shall include the curtilage, adjoining land and any improvements thereupon.
(3) Nothing in subsection (b) shall be construed to require the:
(A) Construction or existence of any door, gate, fence, barrier or wall; or
(B) existence of notice, postings or signs to potential trespassers.
(f) In determining the amount of damage to property, damages may include the cost of repair or replacement of the property that was damaged, the reasonable cost of the loss of production, crops and livestock, reasonable labor costs of any kind, reasonable material costs of any kind and any reasonable costs that are attributed to equipment that is used to abate or repair the damage to the property.
History: L. 2010, ch. 136, § 99; L. 2015, ch. 96, § 9; July 1.
Return to KSA Listing